Ooligan Press is a general trade publisher with national distribution rooted in the rich literary tradition of the Pacific Northwest, a region that is widely recognized for its unique and innovative sensibilities and its wealth of culture. Ooligan Press aspires to discover works that reflect the values, attitudes, and experiences that inspire so many to call the Northwest their home.
We seek to publish regionally significant works of literary, historical, and social value to the Pacific Northwest.
We recognize the importance of comprehensive representation and diversity, particularly within the publishing industry, and are committed to building a literary community that includes traditionally underserved voices; therefore, we are interested in works originating from, or focusing on, the experiences that come from these people and communities within the Pacific Northwest.
Additionally, our press is concerned with sustainability and the future of the publishing industry. Our OpenBook series represents our pledge to transparency in sustainable book production. By focusing on responsible and efficient printing methods, the titles in our OpenBook series are published with minimal environmental impact. We welcome work that examines and engages these issues.
Because Ooligan has narrowed its focus, our backlist no longer represents our current interests as a press. Some past titles that still meet our current submission guidelines are Oregon Stories, Classroom Publishing, Cataclysms of the Columbia, Ricochet River, Blue Thread, The Portland Red Guide, Alive at the Center, Rethinking Paper and Ink, Forgive Me If I've Told You This Before, A Series of Small Maneuvers, Untangling the Knot, The Ghosts Who Travel With Me, Rhythm in the Rain: Jazz in the Pacific Northwest.
We invite you to submit the following:
- Literary fiction
- Young adult fiction
- Books about the craft and teaching of writing, publishing, and book production
- Books on sustainable practices
Please note we will not consider the following:
- Children's picture and middle grade books
- Religious books
- Self-help books
- Please submit a query letter first
- If we like what we see, we will request a proposal package
- Once your proposal package is evaluated, and if we see potential, we will contact you
- Due to the nature of our press and our extended review process, please note that proposal evaluations may take as long as six months
- Thank you for submitting—we appreciate your patience
When submitting a query letter, please include the following:
- Brief summary of your manuscript
- Description of the intended audience and potential markets
- Short paragraph about yourself and your publishing history
- Contact information
After reviewing your query letter, if we are interested in reading more, we will contact you and request a proposal package. Please do not send the full manuscript at this stage.
When submitting a proposal package, please include the following:
- Cover letter containing a summary of your work, a projected page count, the intended audience, any marketing ideas, and a list of published works comparable to your book
- A table of contents (if appropriate)
- Your complete manuscript
We will contact you after our evaluators have completed their review of your proposal package.